Long-term coaching deals could be scrapped according to one journalist.
Meanwhile, Luke Beveridge has reacted strongly to standing down footy department staff.
Follow all the latest AFL developments in our rolling updates below.
Get your footy fix on KAYO ahead of live matches returning soon. Watch classic battles from the 60s to today, docos, news and more. New to Kayo? Get your 14-day free trial & start streaming instantly >
LONG-TERM COACHING DEALS COULD BE SCRAPPED
The AFL is reportedly determined to prevent big-money, long-term coaching deals moving forward, particularly any involving full payouts should coach and club part ways.
The Age columnist Caroline Wilson has suggested the league is looking to eradicate scenarios like those of Ross Lyon and Brad Scott, who are both receiving substantial payouts from Fremantle and North Melbourne respectively after being moved on from their clubs before their contracts were up.
Club bosses have reportedly raised the prospect of asking the AFL to exclude legally binding contracts from capped football department budgets, which are set to be cut by at least $3 million due to the coronavirus fallout.
The column also suggests most clubs are demanding a hard-cap on footy department spending to ensure equalisation, but the wealthier clubs are set to win out by insisting the inability to spend outside of their cap if they are willing to pay a tax is a restraint of trade.
LISTEN TO THE LATEST EPISODE OF ‘THE DEBATE’ — BRAD JOHNSON AND NICK DAL SANTO JOIN TOM MORRIS TO NAME THEIR BEST 22 OF THE LAST 50 YEARS
If you’re on a mobile, tap here to listen
BEVO’S ANGUISH AS STAFF STOOD DOWN
Western Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge has opened up on the emotional toll incurred by standing down a number of football department staff, including premiership hero Dale Morris.
Morris is one of several respected names in the game, including Garry Hocking and Luke Ball, who have been stood down by AFL clubs as a result of the financial impact of the coronavirus.
Speaking to media on Friday, Beveridge said the decision being handed down was one of the most challenging days of his life.
“That was probably one of the top-three most challenging days of my life last Friday and I can only imagine how challenging it was for the young men who got that news as well,” he said.
“I’d love to think at some point in the future I can go to those guys and say, ‘We’ve got a position for you if you’re willing to take it up’.”
Beveridge also admitted there was a sense of guilt for those who remain in jobs at the club.
“There’s a sadness attached to that and I’ve already gone on record about the guilt that we all feel, the ones that are still in the program and have still got jobs,” he said.
“All the workflow’s changed. Even in the time we’ve been away from the club, you’re no less busy, you’re just busy in a different way with so many communications and meetings and strategising and trying to work out what you’re going to do when you come back.”
HOGAN PROGRESSING IN COMEBACK BID
Fremantle defender Reece Conca says teammate Jesse Hogan is in a “really good” position in body and mind as he works toward playing his first AFL match since June last year.
Hogan has dealt with physical and mental health issues throughout his time at Fremantle so far, the 25-year-old taking leave from the club in late January to look after himself.
Speaking to the media, Conca said he had spoken to the key forward, who trained behind closed doors last week.
“We’ll leave the selection to JL (Justin Longmuir) and the coaches and the club, but physically and mentally, I’ve spoken to him and he feels in a really good position so that’s really encouraging for us,” he said.
“We’ll get him up to speed with the game plan and everything from that football side but yeah he looks great so it’s really exciting.”
NAUGHTON IN DOUBT FOR SEASON RESTART
Emerging Western Bulldogs star Aaron Naughton is reportedly no certainty for round two of the AFL season, with consistent knee issues threatening his chances for the season restart.
Naughton played in the round one loss to Collingwood, but Seven News‘ Mark Stevens is reporting the club are cautious with the 20-year-old given lingering soreness from the game.
He signed a four-year contract extension with the club last year, keeping him at the Bulldogs until at least 2024.